Monday, March 10, 2014

Vienna so far

Hello everyone! Here is the story of my first two days in Vienna.

On Saturday the 8th of March, we rode on a train from Berlin to Vienna. The whole trip took about 10 hours. It was really cool because we went through the Czech Republic and passed through Prague. It was awesome. Most of the trip I slept however.

When we got to Vienna my host mom Jutta was there to pick me up. She made fun of me for walking so fast, so I guess that is the first sign that Austrians are a bit more relaxed than the fast-waking Germans! We went to the train station that is closest to my house, called Siebenhirten, and my host father Günther was there to pick us up. He is a funny man, he is always smoking a cigar. When I first met him, he was smoking a cigar. He likes to speak to me in English while Jutta speaks to me mostly in German unless I have no idea what she is saying. When we got home, I gave them the gifts I brought them which were a book about Montana and also Huckleberry Candies. They were very polite and thankful. They showed me around the house and later that night I passed out from exhaustion.

On Sunday, my host mom knocked on my door at 9 a.m. for breakfast. I felt kind of bad because they were both dressed and ready for the day and I was still groggy and in my pajamas. I don't think they cared too much though. For breakfast we had bread, cheese, salami and tea. I got ready after this and did some laundry. A few other Americans and I decided to meet up at Karlskirche to make sure we knew where it was because that is where we were meeting the following day. I live about 500 meters from another American on the trip named Colin. My host dad walked me to his house and then Colin and I walked to the train station. The trains here are a lot simpler than they are in Berlin (thank goodness). We met the rest of our group and got food at a delicious Asian restaurant. We then walked around a little more. Vienna is beautiful and very fancy. People are dressed very nice and there are a lot of designer stores. When I got home later, I checked my email and noticed that I had 4 essays to write this week (NOOOOOO....) so I guess the vacation is over. Back to the daily grind!

This morning I woke up and had breakfast which was bread, salami, cheese, and tea. I then made a sandwich for lunch on the go, once again it was salami, cheese, and bread. I think there is a pattern happening here.

We all met up at Karlskirche and went to our classroom. We discussed the play "Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder" for a long time. Our conversation teacher came to introduce herself. On Monday evenings we are going to her house just to have German conversations. I was feeling weird today, and this woman was talking so quickly and I had no idea what she was saying. I ended up having a panic attack. This was the first time on the trip that I felt bad. On top of the panic attack I think a little homesickness caught up with me. It only lasted about 10 minutes but I was quite embarrassed.

After class, a few others and I went to eat curry at a Turkish? or Indian? restaurant. It was so good! Then we went and bought cell phones so we can all talk to eachother. I am finally starting to feel somewhat at home! We all went home because we all have 4 essays to write. Colin and I went together because we are neighbors. We stopped for a beer on the way home. It was much needed because I was having a rough day. I got home and took a nap, and now I am doing homework and writing this blog!

Miss you all, hope everything is good back in the US of A.

Love ya,
Shannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment