Thursday, February 20, 2014

Deutschland

Ok, so today was insane......

First, I went to the airport in Reykjavik to catch my flight to Frankfurt. I met up with one of the other Americans, who had met two other Americans on her flight. We all went to a place in the airport where we bought beer that was made from glacial water in Iceland. This is the said beer.

 It was around 6:30 a.m. at this time so I am sure we got some weird looks from people wondering why we were drinking beer so early. I couldn't connect to wifi very easily at the airport, so I was not able to notify my family that I had arrived anywhere. Sorry everyone!!

When we got to Frankfurt, everything was very stressful. I found myself avoiding other people because I am so afraid to actually speak German. The only thing I said was "Entschuldigung" when I accidentally ran into people. We had to walk from our gate to the train station, where we boarded a train to Mannheim. The train was odd. Germans apparently do not like to talk to random strangers. It was very silent. When we got off the train at Mannheim we had to catch another one to go to Neckargemünd. Once we got there, our host families were there to get us. For me it was my host mom, Frauke. She is very sweet. She speaks in English with me even though I try to speak German with her! We have had several moments so far where we have no clue what the other person is talking about.

I am finally getting over my jet lag! I am excited to be finally going to sleep at a normal hour. Tomorrow I will wake up and walk to the courthouse where we will meet with the mayor. Then my host mom has invited me to come with her to a workshop for African songs. I will let you know how that goes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment