Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Über das Wochenende

So my weekend was filled with many activities. Let's get started with the story of Saturday.

I woke up and ate breakfast. German breakfast is very different than American breakfast. We ate bread with cheese, salami, raw fish, different spreads, and lemon yogurt. It is delicious! It kind of reminds me of what my mom makes for random family get-togethers, excluding the raw fish and yogurt. Here is a picture of the traditional breakfast.
Also, the cheese is literally the best cheese I have ever tasted. I can already tell when I get back to the U.S., I will have withdrawals.

After breakfast, my host father, brother, and sister took me to a place called Worms (in German it is pronounced like Varms). Worms is one of the oldest places in Germany. It took a while to get there, we had to make a lot of different train changes, but when we were finally there, it was pretty darn cool. Here is an album of the pictures I took.

The two main events were the Catholic Church and the Jewish cemetery. The church was amazing. It was built in the 1018. So obviously, in 2018 it will be 1000 years old (WOAH). It was very big, and the inside was beautiful. Here are some pictures.


I couldn't believe that I was standing in a place so old. Germany is awesome for this reason. In America, the oldest things you can find are from the 1700's. I used to think that was very old, but not anymore.

After the church we went to the Jewish cemetery. My host brother Max said that all Jewish monuments are very well preserved in Germany (for obvious reasons). This cemetery dates back to the 1050's. It was really cool, however slightly creepy. Here are some pics.

After the cemetery, we went back home. I then went out to dinner with one of the other Americans on the trip. I had my first German beer (which was delicious) and also had my first experience in a German restaurant. The other American and I tried very hard to speak German, but pretty much failed overall.

Now it is time for the Sunday story.

Today I woke up and had my traditional German breakfast, and I was kind of preparing for a day of staying in and relaxing. But nope, my host family had plans, and although I am exhausted and also have a cold, I still went because I didn't want to be rude.

Today we went to a town neighboring Neckargemünd. This town had 4 different castles. We went to two of them. Then we went on a hike that must have been 5 or 6 miles through this place called Wolf Canyon? I think, and it was BEAUTIFUL. Here is a link of the pictures I took of the hike and the castles.

No comments:

Post a Comment